Teach Everything with Anything
The easiest way to dive into home education is through whatever attracts you and your kids right now.
For instance, if your children are obsessed with Nerf guns, follow your child into that passion. But as Maria Montessori says, “Follow as his leader.”
- Ponder aloud: “I wonder how the trigger launches the Nerf dart.”
- Ask: “How far do you think the gun will shoot? Let’s shoot and compare to your guess.”
- Notice: “This dart feels light. What would happen if we made it heavier? Would it go farther or a shorter distance?”
- Comment: “I want to run while shooting and see if that makes the dart go farther!”
- Read: Grab the box and read the materials. Look up unknown terms. Google the company that makes them.
- Research: Who came up with Nerf? What does the name mean?
Have Big Juicy Conversations. Allow anything to teach everything and everything to teach anything.
Learning is all around you. As Ferris Bueller says, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
Be brave! You can do it.