Podcast: Mothering by the Book with Jennifer Pepito
Today’s guest on the Brave Writer podcast: Jennifer Pepito!
Jenn and I have had many wonderful conversations on the WILD + FREE podcast, a community of moms seeking to give their children a beautiful childhood—whether that’s through homeschooling or not.
She has a new book out now: Mothering by the Book: The Power of Reading Aloud to Overcome Fear and Recapture Joy. As parents, it’s common for us to feel afraid of things both big and small. You can read all of the self-help books out there, but one of the surest ways to overcome our fears is to hear the real stories of other moms navigating their own hardships and conquering them.
There is no perfect parenting
As a young parent, it’s easy to get caught up in the idea of “the perfect childhood.” We may imagine what we think the childhood our kids deserve is, but fixating on that vision is actually quite harmful. Not only is so much outside of our control, but if we become obsessed with the ideal, perfect scenario, we lose touch with the present moment and everything that is magical about it.
Don’t worry if you’ve fallen into this trap yourselves: it’s nearly impossible to avoid, no matter how much of a warning you have. It may take some humbling moments before you let go of the idea that you can do everything perfectly. And yet, as you strive anyway, don’t forget to show gratitude for what you have.
The impact of reading others’ mothering journeys
Our world is full of variety. There are an infinite number of ways to approach parenting, and nearly every one of them produces a healthy, competent adult. By reading the stories of other mothers, we can see different parenting philosophies, as well as their effects and impacts on children. We get insights into what went wrong, what didn’t, and ultimately what didn’t really matter all that much.
- Read: Mothering by the Book
- Instagram: @jenniferpepito | @thepeacefulpress
- Want help getting started with Brave Writer? Head over to bravewriter.com/getting-started
- Sign up for the Brave Writer newsletter to learn about all of the special offers we’re doing in 2022 and you’ll get a free seven-day Writing Blitz guide just for signing up: https://go.bravewriter.com/writing-blitz
Connect with Julie
- Instagram: instagram.com/juliebravewriter
- Twitter: twitter.com/bravewriter
- Facebook: facebook.com/bravewriter