Help Us Choose Books for Our Arrow and Boomerang Programs
I recently invited followers on Instagram to recommend book titles for our Arrow and Boomerang mechanics and literature programs.
Do you know what happened?
Our Brave Writer community recommended fantastic titles!
Some titles were new to us, and some—well, some were titles that we prize so highly we’d already created an Arrow or a Boomerang for them!
You all totally get us!
Below are recommended titles that are already in our collection of 240 single issue Arrows and Boomerangs.
- Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
- Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
Great books, right?
We realized we needed to get the word out about the treasure trove of phenomenal single issues we have available in the shop!
Help us choose titles for our 2020-2021 book list!
When selecting books to read aloud, we (at Brave Writer) follow a key principle:
The idea is to lay a feast of ideas (hat tip: Charlotte Mason) before your children, to create opportunities for empathy, to help your children grow in critical thinking, to expand a child’s world, and to entertain! That too.
The goal is to offer a selection of books over a year or several years that is diverse in lots of ways. Keeping this list handy will help you get out of ruts and habits too. When reading gets stale or predictable, shake things up!
Here’s how. Select from these categories:
- 𝗗𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗲 𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿𝘀: all kinds of Englishes, all different backgrounds
- 𝗗𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗲 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀: male and female protagonists, older and younger, varieties of circumstance and worldview
- 𝗗𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗲 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲𝘀: familiar childhood, historical events, natural disasters, humanitarian crises, humor, suspense, fantasy
- 𝗗𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗲 𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗿𝗲𝘀: poetry, prose, nonfiction, graphic novels, comics, plays, short stories, fables
In that spirit, I’d like to invite you to recommend books for our Arrow and Boomerang programs! We’re putting together next year’s lists and we’d love your input.
Hop over to my Instagram post then click reply and let us know if there is a book we should consider for the 2020–2021 list.
We’ll announce the books that made the cut at the end of May!
Are you new to Brave Writer? Learn more about the Arrow and Boomerang writing mechanics and literature guides, and how they fit into the complete Brave Writer program, here.