This topic is a doozy! We tackle the big one—the daunting one. UNSCHOOLING!
We also look at a slew of other homeschool styles and philosophies and discuss them.
I remember being batted around from one ideology to the next. The fans of any given viewpoint were usually so enthusiastic, it was difficult to resist their arguments. Then I’d test the ideas for myself and flounder. I wondered:
- Is it me?
- Am I doing something wrong?
- What if my kids are the problem?
- How do I know if the philosophy is right for us?
- And the worst one: Am I just not good enough at this philosophy?
Then I’d worry: Now I won’t get to benefit from the community of all these lovely homeschool women… (which meant one of two things):
- Pretending (as though I was living up to the ideals)
- Going quiet (not sharing, just reading)
It took some time to figure out what it was I really believed for my homeschool and what I felt to be true for my family. Watch the broadcast below where I share with you some principles I developed for how to evaluate the various homeschool ideas out there, while preserving your sense of community and self esteem!