[Podcast #218] Reupping Your Homeschool Commitment
The new year brings a perfect opportunity to refresh and re-energize our homeschooling practices. It’s not just about sticking to what has worked in the past; it’s about bringing in new ideas and approaches.
On today’s Brave Writer podcast, we encourage parents to experiment with different educational styles and activities. From introducing treasure hunts to varying learning methods with workbooks or games, these changes can rejuvenate your homeschooling experience and spark new interest in your children.
Replacing the Tough Stuff
One transformative approach is replacing a disliked subject with an elective for a month. Be it handicrafts, bird watching, coding, or music, these electives are not just hobbies but vital educational experiences. They integrate subjects like math and writing into fun and engaging activities, making learning a joyous journey.
Incorporating Creativity and Care
Acting and theater games are more than just fun activities. They are powerful tools for building confidence, storytelling skills, and cooperation among children. We also suggest changing your learning environment, like rearranging furniture, to create a new, dynamic space. This simple act can stimulate engagement and curiosity, making learning more effective and enjoyable.
Maintaining effective homeschooling methods while adding new layers, such as cross-curricular activities or nature walks, can significantly enhance the learning experience. These practices not only cater to the educational needs of children but also align with their natural curiosities and interests.
As parents, your curiosity and interests are vital in shaping your homeschool. When you indulge in your passions and include your children in the process, it creates a more enriching and comprehensive learning environment.
Lastly, never underestimate the power of self-care.
A rested and curious parent is the cornerstone of a successful homeschool. Prioritize good nutrition, exercise, and sleep, and remember the importance of flexibility. Integrating learning into daily life, adapting to your family’s needs and interests, is what makes homeschooling a unique and fulfilling journey.
In summary, revitalizing your homeschool requires a balance of maintaining what works and being open to new ideas and methods. It’s about:
- embracing change,
- nurturing curiosity,
- and ensuring that both you and your children find joy in the learning process.
Remember, every new approach, every elective, every game is an opportunity to discover and learn something new.
- Start a free trial of CTCmath.com to try the math program that’s sure to grab and keep your child’s attention!
- Curious about Brave Writer but not quite sure what it’s all about? Join our free 7-Day Writing Blitz to transform your writing program in just one week!
- Want to give your kid the best chance at learning a musical instrument but don’t know where to start? Join Hoffman Academy to get award-winning piano lessons online at hoffmanacademy.com and use discount code LEARN for 10% off!
- Sign up for our Text Message Pod Ring to get podcast updates and more!
- Send us podcast topic ideas by texting us: +1 (833) 947-3684
- Want help getting started with Brave Writer? Go to bravewriter.com/getting-started
Connect with Julie
- Website: bravewriter.com
- Instagram: @juliebravewriter
- Threads: @juliebravewriter
- Twitter: @bravewriter
- Facebook: facebook.com/bravewriter
Connect with Melissa
- Website: melissawiley.com
- Substack: melissawiley.substack.com
- Instagram: @melissawileybooks
- Twitter: @melissawiley
- Facebook: facebook.com/authorMelissaWiley
Produced by NOVA Media