NaNoWriMo 2017 is Here!
Ready, Set, Get Writing!
Brave Writers, assemble! The big day is finally here — NaNoWriMo, which stands for National Novel Writing Month, has officially kicked off! Writers from all over the world are hunkering down to write their very own novel during the 30 days of November.
Hop on over to the Young Writers Program website and join the Brave Writer classroom, where we’ll share writing tips and inspiration throughout the month… and even give away some fun NaNoWriMo swag (see below)!
To join the Brave Writer classroom:
- Visit the Young Writers Program and sign up for an account.
- You will be prompted to join a classroom by entering a code. Our classroom code is: CKXQFLWR
- Our classroom name is NaNoWriMo for Brave Writers!
Parents, write your own novel!
Have you considered joining in on the NaNoWriMo fun? It’s not too late! Click here to visit the adult NaNoWriMo website, where the challenge is to write a 50,000-word novel by the end of November (young writers have flexible, age-appropriate word goals).
Imagine how rewarding it would be to do the challenge right alongside your kiddo(s), cheering each other on and having an in-person support system! You might be pleasantly surprised to see what you’re both capable of accomplishing, and did we mention the program is free? It’s a win, win all around!
Using NaNoWriMo in your homeschool
- Create space for NaNoWriMo in your homeschool routine
- This is a big, hairy, audacious goal your child has decided to undertake—so treat it with plenty of enthusiasm and gravitas!
- Let other writing projects take a backseat this month and create plenty of space for important novel writing.
Have Big Juicy Conversations
Pepper NaNoWriMo throughout everyday conversations with your budding novelist—around the dinner table, in the car, while running errands, before bedtime, etc. Hearing about the process from their perspective is such a fun and eye-opening experience.
Help set the ambiance for your mini novelist
Little gestures go a long way—could you set up an official “novel-writing station” together? Buy a special new notebook or string some twinkle lights above a desk or kitchen table to make it more magical when it’s time to sit down and write. You don’t have to make a huge effort or spend a lot of money, just use your creative imagination!
Throw a post-NaNoWriMo party
December 1 is a day of celebration! Do something special to commemorate all the time your child dedicated to NaNoWriMo. Even if he/she didn’t “win” their word count goal, make sure you celebrate every word that WAS written, because, after all, they started November with a blank slate!
UPDATE: The winners are (drum roll) Lexi, Haritha, and Kara! Congratulations!!
As if writing a novel in 30 days isn’t exciting enough, we are giving away some awesome NaNoWriMo swag to give you more incentive to write! Exciting, right?!
- “I <3 Novels” stickers
- NaNoWriMo Young Writers Program buttons
- A Writer’s Emergency Pack of Ideas
- “Noveling is my superpower” bracelets
- NaNoWriMo’s “Hold On, I’m Writing a Novel” pencils
We’re giving away THREE prize packs! You have unlimited entries and we’d love it if you’d share the contest with your friends!
DEADLINE to enter is November 3, 2017 midnight ET. [This contest is now closed. Thanks to all who participated!}