2019-2020 Arrows and Boomerangs
The new Arrow and Boomerang book lists have dropped! What a party!
If you did not catch the big reveal live, you can watch the REPLAY here or on the Brave Writer Facebook page.
Why the big party?
The big reveal is exciting because these are:
- Books your family will read aloud together and treasure all year.
- Books that naturally teach writing mechanics and introduce literary elements.
Here at Brave Writer, we take the selection of these 20 book titles Very Seriously! All year, we read, discuss, and delight in the year’s latest fiction as well as relishing the classics. We:
- aim for diversity of authorship and protagonists.
- incorporate a variety of genres: fantasy to the classics.
- carefully orchestrate the sequence of the books.
- balance book length against the holiday demands of a given month.
- alternate moving, poignant books with silly, lighthearted books.
- launch the year with a sure-fire winner and end with a warmhearted one.
By the time we’ve settled on a book list, we’re chomping at the bit to share it with you!
This year’s Arrow list is all brand new, and the Boomerang list features only two re-boots. You can expect a lively, inspired reading journey!
About the Arrow and Boomerang
The Arrow (3rd-6th) and the Boomerang (8th-11th) are your specially crafted monthly guides to teaching literature and the mechanics of writing.
These programs include 10 month-long guides that feature:
- exciting read aloud novels each month,
- copywork and dictation,
- literary elements,
- Big Juicy Discussion/Think Piece questions,
- and Book Club Party School ideas.
A year’s worth of curriculum (10 month-long guides) for one low price!
When you purchase, you will be invited to a Private Facebook Group for year-long members.
The Brave Writer Arrow and Boomerang guides use living literature to bring writing mechanics to life.
A year of adventure, heart-break, humor, tenderness, history, and fantasy await you!
[This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you click on those links to make purchases, Brave Writer receives compensation at no extra cost to you. Thank you!]
August: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O’Brien
September: The Wild Robot by Peter Brown
October: Merci Suárez Changes Gears by Meg Medina
November: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
December: The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser
January: PIE by Sarah Weeks
February: Stella by Starlight by Sharon Draper
March: Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman
April: Bronze and Sunflower by Cao Wenxuan
May: The Boy Who Saved Baseball by John H. Ritter
Purchase the 2019-2020 Arrow Subscription
August: The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (reboot)
September: Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
October: The Red Umbrella by Christina Diaz Gonzalez
November: A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
December: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (reboot)
January: A Separate Peace by John Knowles
February: Unbound: A Novel in Verse by Ann E. Burg
March: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
April: The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani
May: The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt