Run Into a Brick Wall with Writing?
If you’ve run into a brick wall of resistance for writing, ask yourself these questions.⠀
- How do I react to errors in spelling, punctuation, and grammar?
- When I’m disappointed in the content, what do I say to my child?
- Do I see writing as a requirement or a revelation?
If your answers reveal expectations that are felt by your child as pressure, it could be that you’ve made the space unsafe for writing risks.
To ensure freedom for risks, shift focus to:⠀
- Curiosity (what does the writing reveal?)
- Care (how can I validate what was offered?)
- Collaboration (what help can I give to grow the writing?)
To write is to risk exposure. Be gentle, kind, and supportive.
This post is originally from Instagram and @juliebravewriter is my account there so come follow along for more conversations like this one!