Call for Teachers!

Brave Writer is growing! We need Brave Writer instructors. If you are looking for a way to supplement your family’s income and have writing and homeschooling skills, you may be just what we’re looking for! Brave Writer instructors work part time, from home. Hours and scheduling are flexible.

Our requirements are straightforward, but critical to our success:

1. You must have homeschooled your kids for at least 3 years.

2. You need to have been published.

• magazine articles
  • a book you’ve written
  • an active blog with a readership
  • a community newsletter (like church or homeschooling)
  • newspaper letters to the editor or editorials
  • You Tell Me! (There are lots of ways to be published today.)

3. You need to have a warm, online presence that can be observed.
I prefer to know that you are active in an online community (homeschooling, film, gardening, theology, gaming) or that you have an active Facebook or Twitter account. I need to be able to see how you relate online since that’s what teaching for BW is all about!

4. You need excellent writing skills in casual email/online conversation.
That means you are a natural speller, have good natural grammar, and write with clarity and ease.

5. You need to be a creative person who can problem solve and foster imaginative solutions to writing dilemmas.
We’ll train you in our method, but it helps if you have a knack for editing, or expanding writing content already.

That’s it!

Please submit resumes to help@bravewriter.com.

The title of the email needs to be: Call for Teachers.

In your resume, include evidence of the five items above as well as:

• Your name
  • Where you currently live
  • How long you’ve homeschooled and who (your kids, their ages, what grades they were home educated)
  • Your degrees (high school, college, graduate school – whatever you have)
  • A writing sample—something you share with me that shows your writing voice.

We need quite a few teachers so take a chance and let me know of your interest. We’ll hold a training this summer to see if you are qualified to teach for us (you must be available for the training which will begin the third week in July and last for two weeks). There is no invitation to work for Brave Writer until you’ve completed the training.

All resumes are due by March 31, 2013.

I look forward to hearing from you!

26 Responses to “Call for Teachers!”

1. A couple of clarification questions:

1. Is the training time paid or unpaid?
    2. What is the time commitment during that two week training period?

2. Julie Bogart says:

The training is not paid. It will require an hour a day or so.

3. Julie Bogart says:

(Five day weeks, not weekends)

Also, this is valuable training no matter whether you are hired or not. We’ve had parents go on to teach co-op classes and work with their homeschool communities as a result of our training. So, it’s not just specific to Brave Writer. We do have to interview you first and the training is offered by invitation, once your resume has been reviewed and we’ve conducted an interview.

4. Is the training via skype or??? And do how do teachers interact with students? Email? Other?

5. Julie Bogart says:

Check out our classroom:

We conduct our classes through a custom designed bulletin board.

Julie

6. Thanks, Julie. I just was curious about those answers before submitting a resume, which I really need to update.

7. Julie Bogart says:

Totally understand! Questions are welcome.

8. Melissa says:

Hi Julie.

Are you looking for US based writers only ?

9. Julie Bogart says:

Nope! You can live anywhere in the world as long as you have a reliable Internet connection.

10. PJ says:

Hi Julie
    I know of an excellent writer who worked in the technical writing field. She didn’t homeschool but she helped her two children with homework and they are both just about in college now. How much does the position pay?
    Thank you.
    PJ

11. Julie Bogart says:

Pay is based on a percentage of tuition take per class.

12. Hi Julie,

Found out about this position through my homeschooling friends. I do not homeschool, but I’m a writer launching her first book this summer. Swimming Through Clouds will be available this June on Amazon. I have also published for several organizations on their blogs/on-line magazines. Is it critical to be a homeschooler or would you consider a full time writer who supports homeschoolers?

Thanks. -Raj

13. Julie Bogart says:

The homeschooling piece is critical to our process. But feel free to submit something anyway. We’re always looking for competent writers in a variety of roles.

14. Stephanie O says:

About how many hours a week is the commitment? Is the training live or something that has flexibility with scheduling? (I’ll be out of town those weeks, but visiting grandma with a good internet connection.)

15. Julie Bogart says:

The training is identical to how we run classes. Refer to my comment up-thread and click on the ink.

Which time commitment are you asking about? The training or the teaching? The training will require you to spend time daily, five days a week for the two weeks. I don’t know how long it will take you as each person varies in how much work it is to respond to students in a way that matches the objectives of BW. For some it is an easy fit and for others, more of a learning curve.

16. Stephanie O says:

Sorry! You were clear about the time for training. I checked out the classroom earlier and in that format training would be fine even if I’m out of town. I was wondering about the teaching time commitment, and I understand that it’ll vary between teachers and probably between classes as well. Is there a way to get a ballpark estimate? I can do 10-15 hours a week, but much more than that isn’t practical at this time. Is that enough time to potentially fit your needs somewhere? Thank you for your help.

17. Julie Bogart says:

The truth is that teaching takes more time than that at the beginning. I usually warn prospective instructors that you will feel like a dishrag after your first class. The learning curve is steep (in that you are learning a whole way to be attentive and to create your own “language” for facilitating the growth that needs to occur). But as you gain skill, much of the work becomes automatic. For my longer term teachers, 10-12 hours a week is a very reasonable estimate. But if you teach the essay level, you will have weeks that demand more than that for sure. It really does vary.

18. Sarah says:

Hi!
    I am very interested in applying for this position; however, I have a few questions:
    * What is the average hourly salary?
    * Does the work need to be done at a specific time (ex: during an on-line class) or is the work submitted electronically for the instructor to review and hence can be edited at any time, as long as deadlines are met?
    * What is the average number of hours per week for someone who is newly hired? (I do have a degree in English and have taught (in schools and homeschool) for years, so hopefully that would help!!)
    I look forward to hearing from you, as I am exploring a few professional options at this time!
    THANKS!

19. Julie Bogart says:

Hi Sarah!

Please read through all the comments, as I’ve answered these questions. Your hourly will vary based on how well you master the feedback style.

You can also read how we run our online classes at the link here. We are an asynchronous system, so there is no specific time of day you have to log in. But we do expect answers to questions within 24 hours and comments on assignments within 48 hours.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Julie

20. Leslie says:

I’m sorry if I missed this question, but do teachers get any type of discount for their children to take classes through BW?

21. Julie Bogart says:

Yes. That is discussed during the training.

22. Aneta says:

This looks very interesting! I am wondering if teachers get to choose which classes they would like to teach?

23. Julie Bogart says:

We help you determine which would be appropriate for you to teach (based on your skills and natural aptitudes). But there is a lot of collaboration in this process for sure.

24. Angela says:

I would absolutely love the opportunity to work with/for/at/by Brave Writer but I know that now is not a good time. 1) I need to develop my resume further 2) I still have toddlers while I’m homeschooling high school 3) I am finishing a bachelor’s degree and don’t need another thing on my plate. That said, I’m assuming there will be opportunities in the future, but can I just get in touch whe I’m ready to see what, if anything, you have in a capacity I might fill? (Julie, I’ll do your laundry! lol) Definitely missed you at the conference in Virginia this year… hope you’ll come next year! Or maybe I’ll operate a table for you 🙂

25. Julie Bogart says:

Angela, thanks for offering to do my laundry. 🙂 Please. Do!

Yes, you can contact me when you’re ready. I do typically have a call for teachers every other year.

And I missed being at the VA conference. Maybe next year!